Update – Service Interruption Alert: China Closing its Borders to Foreign Passport HoldersMarch 27, 2020
As of today, 27 March 2020, we have received additional information from our Arpin International (China) team members based in Shanghai, about current steps the Chinese government is taking to prevent the further spread of the COVID-19 virus. Within Shanghai, team members learned of no new cases being domestically reported for quite some time and provinces have begun to loosen previous restrictions.
However, hundreds of new cases are being reported daily via infected foreign passengers arriving at China’s airports. Due to the ever-increasing number of positive cases, as of today, China has closed its borders to foreign passport holders — regardless if they have a Visa or not.
What does this mean to our customers?
- Foreign individuals (unless approved by Chinese embassies abroad) cannot come into China for the time being — even if they have a valid Visa.
- Foreign individuals who leave China cannot return for the time being.
- Shipments, especially SEA shipments, will be held at ports until original documentation can be provided to process clearance. While we are looking into solutions, current policies have a three-month window ONLY to lay claim to a shipment after reaching port via original passport documents.
- Shipments that have not been dispatched to China yet should be held in SIT. Though transit times buy us time, it is not clear how long this ban will last.
- If you have dispatched shipments in route to China now, please do contact your local International Move Coordinator, so we can flag these shipments and keep you updated on important notices.
Your Arpin International Group global service teams continue to monitor all shipments and will keep appropriate parties informed of any potential service disruption.
To read the official announcement from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the People’s Republic of China National Immigration Administration Announcement on the Temporary Suspension of Entry by Foreign Nationals Holding Valid Chinese Visas or Residence Permits click here.